Evaluation of 'THE HOBBIT' project

Hey guys,

I know I have not updated my blog in a while, but I have a good excuse because over the Christmas holidays I have been working on a project that is going to prepare me for my coursework in 2013.

The project that I have been working is a marketing campaign for 'The Hobbit'. For the marketing campaign I had the task of :
*Doing background research about the book/film
*Create a storyboard for the first half of Chapter One of the book
* Write the pitch and treatment for the film
*Create a DVD cover
*Make a teaser poster for the film

For the research I read some of the book to get a better idea of the characters and settings and I looked on Google images for DVD covers of action-adventure films. I also created a mood board of all different interpretations of 'The Hobbit' and I created a list of the different films that were the same genre of the film, such as Tron, Harry Potter and a few more. Another thing that I did was look at different Harry Potter film posters for ideas.

I adapted the codes and conventions from the research through a number of different ways. For my pre-production tasks; the storyboard and the script, I used the mood boards to get an idea of what the characters could look like and I also read the book to see how the characters are conveyed and how the Author of the book, wanted the characters to speak.

For the research into the target audience, I looked at the age ratings for the rest of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I also looked at the age ratings for other action-adventure. Another bit of research that I did was some secondary research on who would go and see an action-adventure film.I did this by looking at the codes and conventions of the film and seeing what audience it could appeal to.

I took all of the research for my target audience and used it in the process of creating my production artifacts. I did this by looking at all the research and deciding what age rating I should give the film and then designed the poster and the DVD cover based on what I thought would be suitable for the age rating. I also used Google to look at what the types of codes and conventions a film of that age rating portrayed.

After finishing my DVD cover and teaser poster I looked over them and I am happy with the way they turned out. Some of the features I am happy with are :
* I am happy with the colours that I used as I find they work well for what I am trying to convey.
*The design I have used works well with the colours.
*The layout of the design as it fits well on the cover . (The DVD)
* The design fits well with the story of the book.
*I believe that how I've drawn them conveys how I see it in my minds eye.

Looking over the production artifacts I have noticed that there are certain things that I could have done better.
* I could have spent more time on both of the designs
*There could have been more annotations on the products
* The poster could include more of the magical aspect of the book/film
* Maybe the colours on the poster could have been more realistic

The overall effectiveness of my final products is not as effective as it could be, however I do think that they work well with the film and the book. They also convey what I am trying to get across towards the audience, and for my first crack at doing this sort of thing, I think it turned out pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment